Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a stroke 3-months ago it affected my left side ; my progress

I had a stroke 3-months ago it affected my left side ; my progress has been good so far, but when I sit for a few minutes, my left arm goes numb. I have to sleep on my right side to avoid this numbness (even laying on my back for a few minutes gives my problems. any idea what the issue is?
thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello form JustAnswer.

These symptoms typically are not present from a 3 month old stroke, or at least not solely from a 3 month old stroke.

It is true that a stroke can affect the part of the brain that controls sensation of the arm, so could cause arm numbness, but the arm numbness would not be exacerbated by position, such as you describe.

When someone has numbness of the arm that is exacerbated by position, it is usually due to a musculoskeletal condition that places pressure on a nerve in certain positions. This would be most likely a problem in the spine, but could occur anywhere along the course of the nerve to the arm.

It is possible that the symptoms are a mixed problem with some mild residual defect related to the stroke and a musculoskeletal problem that is exacerbating the issue, and the latter problem is positional.

Although it would require a proper evaluation to clarify the nature of the problem causing the positional symptoms, one of the options would be to try an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one of my medications is losartan for blood pressure, I don't think that I am allowed anti inflammatory drugs?

Yes, if you are taking losartan, we would rather avoid anti-inflammatory medicines. In that situation, you can take Tylenol on a regular basis for a week or two to see if it helps. It also may help ease musculoskeletal conditions, although it does not directly relieve inflammation.