Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My husband is awaiting to have an inguinal hernia repaired

My husband is awaiting to have an inguinal hernia repaired (the opportunity was cancelled on Mon) he has been terribly constipated for last month or so despite eating loads of fruit, cereal for breakfast plenty of veg a fluids. He is a prev spinal injury with right side weakness and reduced sensitivity /mobility. Very worried.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since how long is he constipated?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Is he constipated ever since his previous spinal injury?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

I would appreciate it if you could provide me more information on the questions that I have asked above.
Please do not rate me for my services until you have received an answer.
Kindest Regards

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--he needs to have abdominal x-rays to see if he has a fecal impaction--hard stool in his colon that's causing a blockage. If that's the case he'll need colonoscopy to check that out and to remove the blockage. Miralax or lactulose may help here but he needs evaluation before he tries any laxatives
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As matter of fact he is having a colonoscopy in August,because the GP thinks he may have internal carotenoids.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--that will be fine but for now with his doctor's permission he can try the laxatives. This doesn't sound like a cancer problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry predictive text HAEMMOROIDS.thank you for you advice.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understood you meant haemorrhoids--he should be fine but have him ask his doctor about the laxatives I mentioned and please remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.