Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Im 48yrs old former rugby player. I had a meniscus shave on

I'm 48yrs old former rugby player. I had a meniscus shave on my left knee 4 yrs ago. My consultant now advises that I need a high tibia osteotomy, this May delay the inevitable knee replacement for several years. Although carry a few extra pounds I 'm still pretty active I can cycle 30 miles plus a couple of times a week, and also weight train, leg pressing 200kg plus I also swim. None of these activities cause me any pain or swelling to my knee. However getting up and walking after sitting for any period of time causes pain and soreness when walking. If I proceed with the osteotomy what sort of improvement can I expect? Should I still be able to cycle, weight train, swim and hike etc? What's the recovery period? Do people usually respond well to this op?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. And we can continue after this. The recovery time would be at least six weeks and more often about three months. It is true that this operation can defer the knee for a knee replacement for five years or longer but the one thing it really wouldn't allow you to do to get that prologation would be the weight training since if you continued that it could well undo any advantages to the operation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the response, if I could walk pain free and cycle that would be a good result. Any weight training would be adjusted to lighter weights targeted at strengthening my leg muscles to support my knees. I've also been reading about cartridge regeneration is this not possible if athwart is is already present?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I don't think cartilage regeneration would be suitable for your problem Mark although a cartilage allograft is a thought you can discuss with your surgeon. I can't guarantee that after the osteotomy you'd be completely pain free but it would allow you to do all the walking, cycling, swimming, etc you'd like. Leg muscle strengthening exercises would be fine except for those that actually put vertical pressure on the knee.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The most important point is knowing that I can still lead an active lifestyle, in addition to the activities I've listed I also have two young children whom I want to have a much fun as possible with. I' also take the usual supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin along with omega 3 etc. whether these make a difference or not is open to debate, but it can' t do any harm.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
The supplements are fine Mark and yes you should be able to lead a very active lifestyle after the operation. Let me know how it goes for you and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Mark