Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My 12 year old had an ORIF of the tibia 10 days ago and began

Customer Question

My 12 year old had an ORIF of the tibia 10 days ago and began vomiting shortly after coming round after the surgery and was kept in for 3 days with what they thought was Post operative nausea and vomiting before being sent home once she could keep liquids down with anti-sickness meds to finish her recovery. It was expected she would be back to normal within a few days. Once home she developed diarrhoea and a fever of 38.6 (although paracetamol lowers this to near normal.) and these have continued ever since. We stopped the anti sickness meds when it became apparent they weren't really helping much and as long as she has paracetamol regularly she can hold down water but not food.
3 days ago we saw our GP who felt she had signs of septis and was a little tachycardic so referred us back to hospital for investigations. The hospital doctors checked her wound and since they were happy it was not infected discharged her telling us she probably picked up gastroenteritis while in hospital and that she should be better in a day or so.
They expected her to be well enough to attend her outpatients appointment in fracture clinic (now 2 days away) but she is still unwell tonight, unable to hold food down with a temperature of 38.2 just before her paracetamol was due. No-one else in the family has fallen ill, even though she is currently sleeping in my bed with me and I am doing all her personal care. I've even forgot myself and finished food and drink she has left half finished. I'm really uncertain as to what we should do. Should we go back to the GP or just wait it out?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I would bring her back to the GP or to the A&E department.

Dr. David :

fever and vomiting could be a sign of an infection in her body

Dr. David :

from the surgery

Dr. David :

or a bladder infection.

Dr. David :

or some other issues.

Dr. David :

she needs to see a doctor and get blood testing to check for infection and elevated WBC counts.