Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have one of your leaflets on catarrh leaflet number no7,

I have one of your leaflets on catarrh leaflet number no7, it gives a lot of information but i have a big problem with not being able to clear any nasal mucus, i wish to know if there is any thin more i can do to help relieve the problem besides nasal sprays ect, in the leaflet it gives som iformation about diet but dose not give you alternatives to thigs like milk and also i have to be careful what i eat ect as i suffer from migrain, i have had this condition for a long time and all i do is cough to clear it seems very deep rooted, i did not get any help from my GP so i am getting desperate to find some kind of relief, it is very bad at night when i lie down so amnot getting much sleep. Thanyou for your time,sheila XXXXX

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some clarification and further information.
But I also wanted to be certain that you have posted this correctly.
You have posted this on a medical question and answer website.
This site does not include patient information leaflets.
Are you having any other symptoms, such as heartburn or shortness of breath?
Have you tried any nasal sprays beyond the Sterimar?
Are you taking any other chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only other medicines i take are Amitriptyline 2 at night, also Imigran also use a. Nasonex nose spray. also my ears get wery blocked with wax, So have to have them syringed regulary, put warmed olive oil in twice a week, but it seema to build up very quickly again.

I still have not heard back about whether there are any other symptoms, so will incorporate this into my answer.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

There are two common conditions to consider when there is a problem with excessive mucus that is particularly bad at night. The most common condition is an allergic inflammation of the nose and upper airways. During the night there is increased exposure to certain common substances that trigger allergies, such as dust mites. The other common problem that gets worse at night is acid reflux. Acid reflux will most often cause heartburn, but it is also possible for acid reflux to present with increased mucus, sore throat, cough, or shortness of breath. Acid reflux is frequently worse at night because gravity is no longer helping to keep the stomach contents from refluxing.

There are several options for treatment for allergies, including oral antihistamines and nasal spray steroids (such as the Nasonex). Irrigation of the nose and sinuses with salt water, such as with a NetiPot, also may be helpful. If there is acid reflux, then the use of a medicine to suppress stomach acid may be helpful, such as Zantac, Prilosec, or Prevacid.

As for the foods that may be exacerbating the mucus, that is very dependent upon the individual. The most common foods that are implicated are dairy products, not just milk, but all dairy products. Other foods that can be involved include wheat and wheat products, soy, and processed sugars. If acid reflux is present, then caffeinated beverages should be avoided. Many people will only discover the foods to which they are sensitive by keeping a careful diet diary that also includes when symptoms are better and worse.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou for your reply, but are you able to tell me what other alternatives in stead of milk i could use on cereal also what sort of diet would help my complaint. As i have had this so long do you think i will be able to solve this. Thankyou. Sheila XXXXXXX

I'm sorry for the delay, but was away from the computer when you responded.

An alternative to dairy milk would be to use soy milk for any purpose, including on cereal. There is no food that directly helps other than avoiding the foods to which someone is sensitive.

Yes, this problem can usually be gotten under control. Some people with allergies or acid reflux have more stubborn disease and may need evaluation by an Allergist or Gastroenterologist respectively, but even these people usually are able to get good control with care from the respective specialist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry but everything you told me i already knew, i was hoping you could give me much more detailed information about my condition, thankyou for your help but i would like a refund of my money. Sheila XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you replied to the alternative to milk was soya, in your previous reply you stated no soy, are there any other products you could recommend ie soup,bread ect, as all these items usually have milk or wheat in them. so it is very difficult to find anything i can eat.
so that is why i need more in depth information, if you think i need to get advice from another source. Sheila XXXXXX

I said that different people may have different sensitivities, so it cannot be said what someone will or will not react to. Also, because of the variability for each individual, it is impossible to be specific about which foods that you definitely need to exclude. Dairy is the most common, and while eliminating dairy, it is reasonable to try soy milk. If eliminating dairy is not helpful, then it may be helpful to try to eliminate wheat, or soy, or processed sugar. It would usually be too difficult to eliminate all foods that someone could potentially be reacting to, so the usual approach is to eliminate one at a time, not all of them.