Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am about to set up an appointment with an ENT specialist

I am about to set up an appointment with an ENT specialist but I just wanted a second opinion on the GP review. The GP says he does not think there is anything to be concerned about. Whatever happens I am setting up this appointment for sure.
I reported on the 18/7/2014 with a sensation of clicking near the throat (submandibular region) that lasted about a week.I can feel movement under the chin associated with the clicking..not a lump or a ball just a feeling of movement under the skin. The Dr and the ultrasound technician were unable to feel or identify this movement associated with the clicking sensation by touch, but it is intermittent and they may have missed it. I can certainly hear and feel it inside my neck when I swallow. Clicking occurs whether swallowing food or saliva.It is intermittent about 40% of swallowing actions produce a click.
DR checked me on that day revealing Throat,Neck,Thyroid=normal. No supraclavicular or cervical lymphadenopathies.Tonsils slightly inflamed.No night sweats, good energy, no swelling when eating, appetite normal. I was referred for ultrasound and had ultrasound of throat and submandibular region.
Ultrasound revealed:
Both submandibular glands normal in appearance.No ductal dilatation or calculi evident.NO pathologically enlarged adenopathy.Of incidental note there is a tiny lymph node present which is subcentimetre identified just adjacent to the region of interest (left submandibular area)
Between the time of the ultrasound last week and today's appointment the following things have been felt:
Clicking seems a little more intense and associated with discomfort under jaw
Intermittent scratchy feeling in the throat area
Sometimes feel like something 'stuck' in throat after eating but it is not constant
For the last 4 days a little phlegm and slight hoarseness in the voice ( The Dr put that down to the mild tonsilitis)
To me it feels like the space between my pharynx and upper eosophagus might be a little inflamed as I can 'feel the edges' within my throat, which is what I think I am feeling after I eat, a sort of itchy/scratchy feeling that feels like food stuck.
I have had all of these symptoms before separately in the past but did not concern me and they passed, what worries me is the occurence within the same context as the clicking in the throat/chin.
It could be some kind of globus sensation unrelated to the clicking but I can't be sure. I do have a hiatial hernia and probably GERD symptoms at night though I do not consciously suffer from heartburn or night-time acid indigestion. I am about 20 KG overweight.
My GP says he doesnt see anything for me to be worried about, do you agree?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

Thanks for the detailed information.

Dr Basu :

GERD can cause inflammation of theesophageal lining causing scratchy feeling.

Dr Basu :

The click noise can be from the throat cartilage stretching.

Dr Basu :

There is a thyroid cartilage inside the throat just before the vertebra.

Dr Basu :

If there is asymmetry of the cartilage it can produce clicking noise during swallowing.

Dr Basu :

In most cases the superior cornu of the thyroid cartilage projected posteriorly and medially.

Dr Basu :

This means the upper part of the thyroid cartilage is abnormally long causing this noise during swallowing.

Dr Basu :

This can be corrected surgically by a ENT surgeon.

Dr Basu :

Also GERD needs to be treated with high dose omeprazole 40 mg daily.

Customer:

is surgery always indicated?

Dr Basu :

For further information on this clicking in the throat condition here is the link to the article:

Dr Basu :

YOu can show a pint out of this article to your specialist.

Dr Basu :

If you feel bother then only surgery is needed.

Dr Basu :

Otherwise, this is not a serious condition.

Customer:

Thank you Dr Basu

Dr Basu :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in ENT Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD