Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi, Im a 26 year old male who is at the end of his tether.

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a 26 year old male who is at the end of his tether. I have a myriad of problems so interwoven that I can't ascertain as to where one problem ends and another begins. I drink 6-10 cans of beer a night, take drugs everyday, am a misanthrope, I have no friends, I've never had so much as a date, never mind a relationship. I have tried to commit suicide twice (hopefully 3rd time lucky), I hate the way I look (I'm naturally very ugly, tall and thin), I am almost always depressed, I self harm on occasion with a sharp blade to the wrists. I seldom if ever go out (except when at work). I don't like talking to people, I have thought's of inflicting violence on others (after all they deserve it for bullying me on a daily basis), I have no confidence/self esteem. I don't get on with my family. I am lonely. I have tried to help myself and can stop drinking and taking drugs any time I please, although life get's on top of me again. I have already tried CBT and the person said that they couldn't help me. I thought life was for having fun, not suffering.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Have you considered ECT?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm confused as to who is answering my question. I don't wish to pay for two answers, one is expensive enough.

I am Dr. Phil
I am helping you here
Have you ever considered ECT?
Electroconvulsive therapy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would have to do the requisite research on the subject before I could give you a definitive answer. As it stands, the words electro and convulsive don't sound appealing to me. I hope I'm not paying for this answer, I shan't be too pleased. I want a rough diagnosis as to what criteria of mental state I belong to so I can either, contact my GP, or, self diagnose. I'm not a silly child.

Thanks for the reply
I didn't mean to insinuate that you were a child
My opinion based on the limited information I have is that you have major depressive disorder that is confounded by a substance abuse disorder
Basically it seems that you are self medicating with alcohol and drugs
This is actually what most drug/alcohol users do.
I would absolutely contact your GP and ask to be referred for depression to a psychiatrist and for substance abuse treatment
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I have trouble talking to people, which is why I decided to give this site a go. For £48 I got asked as to whether I would consider ElectroConvulsive therapy and was told that I have major depression and it is "compounded by a drug/alcohol problem". I'm extremely unhappy with the answer. I don't expect 2 A4 sheets' worth of an answer but more detail was mandatory. I am willing to spend the money for some help but the quality of my answer was piss poor. I want someone with expertise in mental disorders/therapy/psychiatry. I am extremely unhappy and this site does not bode well for my misanthropy, I feel like it has been daylight robbery. I could have asked anyone what to do, based on my question, and they all would have said see your GP. Terrible.