Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am suffering from intermittent pain under my thumb nail in

Customer Question

I am suffering from intermittent pain under my thumb nail in my right hand. It seems worse at night and I haven't injured my hand or thumb recently. There is a faint grey mark on the nail and pushing on the mark is sore. The other thumb is pain and mark free
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Two possibilities here. One would be a small hemorrhage where the mark is, and in that case this actually could be related to a heart problem such as a small embolus (clot) from the heart, although with that you should be having a palpitation problem. The other possibility would be a sign of rheumatoid arthritis. I suggest you have a doctor look at this and get blood work and an EKG and an echocardiogram