Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have had beta blockers for my panic attacks there not helping

Customer Question

I have had beta blockers for my panic attacks there not helping tho what more can be done?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

When were the beta blockers started?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer: Last Thursday
Customer: I started them 80mg 3 times aday
Dr Uzair :

Alright, what are your current symptoms?

Dr Uzair :

And which beta blocker have you been prescribed?

Customer: Sweating shaking crying unable to breathe properly they start with p
Customer: It only happens when I go to meet my girlfriend I know it would be easier to give her my address but I have this fear and jugs can't do it
Dr Uzair :

Okay, which beta blocker are you using?

Customer: Pranopol
Dr Uzair :

Okay. Has it helped with palpitations?

Customer: yeah
Dr Uzair :

Are you following a psychiatrist for these attacks?

Customer: nope I font need one I just wasn't yo know are there other tablets yo help
Dr Uzair :

Alright, usually beta blockers will take around a month to start helping with panic attacks.

Dr Uzair :

Other tablets that can help are SSRIs.

Dr Uzair :

These are prescription only medications and can be prescribed by a psychiatrist.

Customer: well I was told they work straight away
Dr Uzair :

Anxiolytics like Xanax can also help.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, they do help with some of the symptoms like Palpitations right away but to set in with all the other symptoms it takes a while.

Customer: What else? Would hypnosis work
Dr Uzair :

Usually these are just used as adjuncts to other measures like Breathing exercises, psychotherapy and diet changes.,

Dr Uzair :

Yes, hypnosis works in some refractory cases which are not responding well to the above.

Customer: How long would it take for Xanax take
Customer: To work
Dr Uzair :

Xanax will help with the racing pulse and sweating and the rapid breathing in about 1 hour after taking it.

Dr Uzair :

But the affects last for less than 12 to 18 hours.

Customer: but will my doctor give me them
Customer: Will beta blockers eventually work with those symptoms tho
Customer: My girlfriend is worried I won't get over this and we will never be happy but I will won't i
Dr Uzair :

Yes, they should but you need to discuss the other things that I mentioned with your doctor as well like breathing exercises, addition of an SSRI or anxiolytic and psychotherapy.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, it does not seem that you won't.

Customer: its ruining my life
Dr Uzair :

These conditions make you feel that way more than they actually do affect one's life, but yes this is something that you should treat proactively.

Dr Uzair :

That is why I suggested earlier that you see a psychiatrist who are primarily concerned with treating these symptoms.

Dr Uzair :

That will benefit you in the best of ways.

Customer: so if you was my doctor wa medication would u give me
Dr Uzair :

If I were you doctor, I would recommend that you see a psychiatrist. I would lower your dose of beta blockers and start an anxiolytic like Xanax 0.5mg once daily at night to begin with.

Customer: But does Xanax work straight away?
Dr Uzair :

With most symptoms, it does, yes.

Customer: or do I need to take it foul,e days
Customer: do I need to give it time to get my system what beta blocker dossage would you put me on to
Dr Uzair :

I can not speculate over the internet what dosage I would put you on since that is a clinical decision.

Customer: How many hours do I need to give it to kick in
Dr Uzair :

The propanolol or the xanax?

Customer: Xanax
Dr Uzair :

About an hour.

Customer: So what is stopping me from giving her my address?
Dr Uzair :

I'm sorry? I can only help you with medical questions.

Customer: But is it my anxiety stopping me from giving her it?
Dr Uzair :

You need to evaluate that yourself. I would be more suited to answer that question if you were my patient but under the present circumstances it is difficult to understand the whole perspective of things.

Customer: Ok but could that be the cause of it
Dr Uzair :

Yes, it could well be.

Dr Uzair :

If you have no more queries, please do leave a positive rating for the assist.

Dr Uzair :

Feel better soon and best of luck.

Customer: What's the highest dossage of Xanax could u take
Dr Uzair :

Anything above the dosage prescribed is not advised, so you should take only as much as is prescribed by your physicians.

Customer: But what's dossage do they come in
Dr Uzair :

Xanax is only an anxiolytic in small doses like 0.5 to 1 mg and the higher the dose, it will cause sedation rather than an anxiolytic effect,

Dr Uzair :

they come in 0.5, 1 and 2 mg mostly.

Customer: What other drugs are there other than Xanax
Dr Uzair :

Other benzodiazepines can be used but better results are with Xanax.

Customer: so could I still take beta blockers
Dr Uzair :

The doses will need adjustment which your doctor can do for you.

Customer: why would 80mg 3 times daily be to much
Customer: What other ones could be used other than Xanax
Dr Uzair :

That is a high dose and will need to be adjusted since a benzodiazepine will be added as an adjunct.

Customer: what other benzodiazepines could be used tho
Dr Uzair :

Clonazepam

Dr Uzair :

Bromazepam

Dr Uzair :

Diazepam

Customer: are they as good as Xanax
Dr Uzair :

there are so many, it really depends on what your doctor feels comfortable with.

Dr Uzair :

They are all Benzodiazepines and all are effective. They have different properties with their onset of actions and duration of actions.

Customer: so why did you say xnanax tho
Dr Uzair :

Because that is what is commonly used, has the most predictable results, it is not long acting and has a relatively quick onset of action.

Customer: wa about lorazepam
Dr Uzair :

Like I mentioned before, it really depends on what your doctor wants to start and these things are tailored to the individual needs in every case.

Customer: but in your opinion xnanax or lorazepam work better?
Dr Uzair :

In my opinion Xanax is better suited to most patients.

Dr Uzair :

But that is my opinion based on my experience.

Dr Uzair :

Lets leave that to your doctor to decide, shall we.

Dr Uzair :

Please leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best.