Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

hi doctor chip hope you can help me again I got a blood sugar

Customer Question

hi doctor chip hope you can help me again I got a blood sugar test done. it was by a finger prick and machine method. it came up 8.0 which is high blood sugar not low as you originally thought. I eaten late the night before and doctor said it may have read high do to some un digested food . as it was 9 pm at night when I ate. he now going to do full blood glucose check with 12 hour fastening again. I hope the high reading was due to eating late and nothing else. im worried cause I don't know what else can cause the high reading. I only drink alcohol free beer. eat fresh fruit and veg . and I eat generaly healthy. so what would cause the high reading .
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
The expert that you requested is not currently online, so the question was opened to other experts.
However, the decision is yours.
Would you rather wait for the requested expert to be online?
Or can I be of assistance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes could you answer my question please

I would be glad to assist you.

The most likely cause of an elevation of blood sugar to 144 in the morning after a meal at 9 PM would be diabetes.

However, there are two other possibilities to consider.

The first is that the finger stick method for checking blood sugar is not the most accurate method for a precise diagnosis. Performing finger stick glucoses are critical for day-to-day management of diabetes, but there are several factors that can produce error when a finger stick is done. So simply checking a lab determination on a venous sample may discover that the blood sugar is normal.

For there to be undigested food still in the intestine, there would need to be a problem with the stomach that delays emptying of the stomach. Once the food has passed into the small intestine, the digestion and absorption of food occurs relatively quickly. If you have other GI symptoms, then it may be worth checking the emptying of the stomach, but if you are not having any other symptoms, then it is less likely to be a problem.

It is worth noting that the most common cause of delayed emptying of the stomach is from diabetes, usually that has been present for many years and then affects the nerves that serve the stomach. In this case, if diabetes is not present and there is delayed stomach emptying, there still would be consideration of a neurologic problem affecting the nerve that serves the stomach.

So, if the blood sugar is normal when rechecked, I would first suspect the problem was the inaccuracy of the method used. But of there are any other GI symptoms present, it would be appropriate to assess stomach emptying.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your answer im more worried than ever now . I had a blood test done at gp in march afull fasting blood test which checks chlorestrol levels and sugar levels how come it wasn't spotted then if it diabetes the levels all showed up normal so diabetes has it symptoms of shaking light headed im not thirtsy or need to go to toilet frequently so I don't understand why bloods didn't pick it up back then

If your fasting blood sugar was normal in March, that would increase the chance that this is an error of the method by which it was checked.

If the repeat blood sugar is found to be 8.0, then it would be considered diabetes, as diabetes is considered to be present if the fasting blood sugar is ≥ 7.0. However, it would not be at a level that it would be expected to cause increased urination or thirst, as these symptoms will typically only develop when the blood sugar is ~10.0, as that is the level at which the ability of the kidneys to reabsorb sugar is saturated. When the kidneys can no longer reabsorb all the filtered sugar, there is increased sugar in the urine, and the increased sugar in the urine causes fluid loss, and the excessive fluid loss causes thirst.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the method from which it was tested in march was at a lab in hospitial surely they would not have errored in checking the levels. also was is GI symptoms to mentioned. is that to do with things like acid reflux I also have diverticulitis is that a GI problem if not what is GI problems many thanks

The method in any lab based on a venous sample will be accurate. It is the finger stick method and using a glucometer for checking blood sugar that is not as accurate.

The GI symptoms that would be worrisome would be upper abdominal discomfort, nausea, heartburn, or early satiety. Acid reflux can be related to poor stomach emptying, but diverticulitis symptoms would not be related to delayed stomach emptying.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the blood was taken out of my arm by syringe method not a pin prick method and they took 4 or 5 syringe samples to be tested so error should not have been made or not check properly I would presume it would have been test properly back in march .im on laparazone 30mg for acid reflux and controls it well. what is satiety please

You said in your original question that this blood sugar determination of 8.0 was by finger stick, so this is the result that may not have been accurate.

Satiety is the sensation of feeling full; early satiety is feeling full sooner than would be expected, such as after eating half a meal.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes sorry for the confusion it was the finger prick methed that read 8.0 the method of takin blood out of arm to check it was done back in march it was normal. ok thank tou for explaining satiety . ive had bloatiness but have had test done like investigations to look at bowel and colon .gp said bloating due to ibs and divertilitis.I do have flare up of that but that's only time I get bloatiness or fullness . ok so I wont worry to much about pin prick method I will wait and see what reading sugar is at next proper blood test next week earliest they can do it

Yes, that is a good plan.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok many thanks I wont do a rating just now as I will proberly have more questions later is that ok many thanks

Yes, that's fine, but you can also come back to a post after you provide a rating, so you do not think that a rating ends all communication.
I notice that you have posted another similar question for Dr. Chip to which he has not yet responded. Did you have any further questions for which I can provide assistance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no thank you I would prefer to communicate with doctor chip many thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Sorry I didn't know until now that you were looking for me. Did Dr Love not cover your question completely with his answer?