Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

got a spider bite 4 weeks ago in the uk felt unwell ever since symptoms now are throat swo

Customer Question

got a spider bite 4 weeks ago in the uk felt unwell ever since symptoms now are throat swollen closing up head full tingling electric shock stabbings all over body feet wrists arms legs gp just given pain killers it was a bite on tip of middle finger and nothings showing externally its all internally pain and feeling tired could there be something left in my finger it still feels hot and sore to touch thanks
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.
It is very much possibly that a part of sting is left in the finger which also explains why you are having symptoms of throat and electric sensations.
You should soak this part of finger in salt water as this can decontaminate the sting(a local measure that i learnt). get it examined by your doctor, you also need blood complete picture and raised white cells will show persistent inflammation due to sting.
I hope this answers your questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou its really hard convincing my doc in uk theres still anything wrong thinking of going private for blood tests do you think i should throat tightening not going better yes it still feels like stings still in me could it be travelling around my body with all the stabbing pains going around or will it just be in my finger feel all tingly and upset that docs in uk won't listen soaking it in salt water as well thanks

Thank you for your reply,
NHS does not go for tests unless person has life threatening problem, this is their protocol. Aim is to save the govt. money.
So it is not possible to convince them unless they see some clinical symptoms or signs.
One option is that you can try benedryl as it is anti allergic it imay help.
Let me know if you have questions.
Kindly rate my answer to credit the reply. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you very much you have been a great help soaking finger in salt is working yes will try taking benedryl gp yesterday still thinks nothings going on because they carnt see anything and said nothing would show on X-ray or scan and told me to take anti inflammatory having a blood test monday morning but not sure if anything will show up in that tingling and electric shock feelings are bad finger sore arm sore when it stings do you think it will ease of or should i be worried also said uk spiders don't bite like this but it was a mild winter and still don't know what bit me do you think i should go private if symptoms go worse or will it go on its own xx also tried origano oil but this made my heart race and chest pains xx thank you

You are welcome.
Yes you need a private opinion if your symptoms worsen. You need a complete blood picture test which will show a possible rise in white cells which indicates ongoing inflammation secondary to spider bite.
I hope this answers your questions .thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

had a blood test at docs its come back showing inflammation they just said we carnt do anything make another blood test in 2 weeks to see if inflammation goes down i asked if antibiotics would help and they said no don't really want to give you any my fingers still very painful to touch feels like a very sore boil under skin and sting still stinging very painful if inflammation is showing what else can i do with thanks ...

Cold compresses and application of pain killer cream might be a useful option.