DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have just been diagnosed with MS. I had trouble last July/August

Customer Question

I have just been diagnosed with MS. I had trouble last July/August walking but it got a better but there was always a sensation there. Since January 2014 I have been having difficulty walking. My legs have been heavy and numb. I have a lot of trouble lifting them. My doctor prescribed aspirin for me as he thought it was bad circulation. Eventually he sent me to a specialist who ordered an MRI and gave me the MS diagnosis. I have been in this relapse for over 6 months. I struggle to walk longer than 10 mins. My specialist says that she can’t say if my legs will improve even with treatment. I am on the first week of steroid tablets with no improvement. I am very scared that I will never walk properly again and my doctors seem uninterested in this fact. Back in Aprll when I asked my GP could this be MS he said he didn’t think so and that even if it was it was "curable". I don’t seem to have any hope of ever getting my normal life back. I am worried that because I have been in this relapse so long that I have not chance now of ever coming out of it. Is that true?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.
In fact the nature of MS, classically is that it comes and goes.
1 week of treatment on steroids is not enough to make any conclusions.
As long as you are working with a neurologist, there are plenty of treatment options.
You need to tell me the MRI findings for me to give you a better idea, but typically, you will go into remission.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My MRI showed two lesions on the brain and one on the neck? Will my walking get better?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Depends where the lesions are and how big, but in fact this sounds like a typical initial finding.
You should go into remission.
In fact you need to be asking your neurologist about this right now, after a week, and should be reporting in weekly.
An increase in medications might be indicate in certain cases.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don’t have another appointment to see my specialist for 6 weeks. The reason I am asking a doctor on-line is because the doctors won’t give me anymore information,

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I have given you the information.
Is there another question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Please use reply to expert.
What quality problem are you referring to.
We can not diagnose you on line.
We can not tell you 100% that you will go into remission.
We can not substitute for your doctors.
I think there is a high chance you will go into remission.
What other question did you have? I have not seen one
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does remission mean my walking could get better?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes.
That is exactly what it means.
You might well walk completely normally in remission.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been worried that because I have been in relapse for more than 6 months that the walking would be irreversible? Looking at the information on the internet a six month relapse seems long? Would this not make a remission more unlikely?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Not necessarily.
That is not a direct relationship.
With only two lesions in the brain, I think that is more important.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could the lumbar puncture I had done 9 days ago account for my walking getting worse. The doctor was an hour and a half trying to do it before they eventually got another doctor to do it. The next day I could barely move, my head, neck and back felt painful and stiff. I had to stay lying down for 5 days because of the headaches. I am sorry to go on but I am concerned about my diminishing walking.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
We are going on to many new questions, which is OK, but we are only paid by JA PER positive rating. I don't see one here, so I have not been compensated at all for my previous time with you.
The lumbar puncture can cause the headaches and temporary symptoms, but would not cause your difficulty walking. That is clearly the MS.
Please click a positive rating [I strive for accurate and excellent answers, but this has to be a two way street]. And, come back as needed. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have rated your reply. Apologies I am very frustrated and scared. I really want to walk again but not sure I will now

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
That is understandable.
What type of doctor is giving you the prednisone
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Neurologist prescribed the prednisone. They are 5mg tablets - I have to take 12 tablets daily for two days as a single dose, reducing by one tablet every second day until finished. I started taking them last Saturday but my walking is not improving.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It is going to take several weeks.
Call your neurologist weekly, as I suggested, to give a report.

The reason that they set the appointment when they did is because they expect it to take that long for improvements.
Also ask about other medicines.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, maybe I should be on stronger steroids

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No, that is very strong.
The only way to get stronger is to go into the hospital and have pulsed IV steroids.
But that is not necessary as long as you are not getting worse.