Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello For the past few months my cuticles on my hands have

Customer Question

Hello For the past few months my cuticles on my hands have turned yellow. I went to the doctor but all they suggested was jaundice which was negative and they didnt know what else it could be. I t looks horrible and I dont know what it could be. Do you have any suggestions please?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you attach a picture of your fingers (using the icon on the tool bar that looks like a paper clip)?
I'm sorry, but after I posted my information request, I see that you added a photo that was not on the original post.
Let me review the image and type an answer.
The most likely cause of yellowing of the cuticles when the bilirubin is normal would be an overgrowth of bacteria. It does not appear to have a surrounding infection, so oral antibiotics will usually not be necessary.

However, it would be reasonable to clean the finger a couple times per day, including gently scrubbing with a soft brush. After cleaning, it would be reasonable to apply an over the counter antibiotic ointment. A thin layer is all that is necessary and gently rub it into the cuticles.

Some people can also get yellow discolouration related to dietary intake of substances that contain yellow pigment, most often beta-carotene, such as from carrots, but the yellow discolouration is usually more diffuse.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.