Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I take 300m of Allopurinol each day as a preventative for gout,

Customer Question

I take 300m of Allopurinol each day as a preventative for gout, in the past 6mths i keep getting bouts of gout and i take Diclac75mg to help reduce swelling and pain, however , almost as soon as i stop taking the Diclac the gout slowly returns within a few days. can you nsuggest anything new
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you had your uric acid levels checked recently?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any other medical problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on any other medications for anything?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

I would appreciate it if you could provide me more information on the questions that I have asked above.
Please do not rate me for my services until you have received an answer.
Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did have uric acid levels checked a couple of months ago and it was slightly high and has been for some time. i also take 10ml of Emcor each day for high blood pressure. have been taking this for about 10years and pressure is always normal when checked

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
There are a few things that you and your doctor must ensure:
1. Your uric acid should be in the normal range preferably should be less than 6 mg/dl or 360 micromol/L. A slightly high level is still not acceptable. If allopurinol is not being able to bring your uric acid levels down sufficiently enough then you should be on another medication called febuxostat.
2. You should drink plenty of fluids.
3. You should take a diet that is low in uric acids i.e. low in red meat. Other sources of uric acid include sweetbreads, anchovies, sardines, liver, beef kidneys, brains, meat extracts (e.g., Oxo, Bovril), herring, mackerel, scallops, game meats, beer, and gravy.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done.