Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am a 74 year old female suffering from fatigue. I have put

I am a 74 year old female suffering from fatigue. I have put on 2 stone in weight but have had to cut down exercise as I am so exhausted after it and have to go to bed. I thought I had an underactivr thyroid but all blood tests are ok. I am continually passing wind from both ends(very embarrassing). I have a rash between the top of my thighs and it is now on my face. It has white small boils and is very sore to touch. My sister has been diagnosed with coeliac diiscease and has similar problems to me especially the exhaustion and wind. Could I have coeliac?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--do you know what your TSH level from your thyroid panel is? Have you had any studies for celiac disorder?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No do not know Tsh levels but doc said they were ok.
No tests for celiac disorder
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Barbara--and we can continue after this if you'd like--unless your TSH was well below 3.0 I'd consider you hypothyroid and treat you for that, and your doctor may not be aware of the new guidelines about hypothyroidism. Celiac is a real consideration here but so is irritable bowel syndrome and possibly an H pylori infection of your stomach. I would have you see a gastroenterologist for further blood celiac testing as well as upper and lower endoscopy and a screeen for H pylori.