DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 6 foot 5 inches, I have worked as a nurse for the past

I am 6 foot 5 inches, I have worked as a nurse for the past 4 years, due to the work load as many health professionals are aware of, I suffer with excruciating pain in my knees/legs due to constantly kneeling down doing patients dressings etc; I have been prescribed co-codamol 30/500 mg co-codamol, which initially eased the pain, but as we all know, after a while you become used to these pain relieving remedies, I have been back to my GP on numerous occasions to try to get my analgesia increased, but to no avail, the advice from my GP is, as much as possible keep my legs elevated, thus relieving the stress and strain on my knees and legs; this would be ideal, however I need to live and i need to earn money to pay bills food etc. I am going back to my GP in a couple of weeks as I am at the point now where I feel I may have to be signed off work due to stress related problems, I do not know where else to turn as my GP appears very reluctant to increase my analgesia, I would be grateful for any advice; thank you for your time.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
What is the cause of this pain
What does imaging show?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not been for imaging, my Doctor feels it's just general wear and tear and the nature of the job which I do, he has told me I need to find a job which is less evasive, like working in a clinic, I have worked in the nursing home for 4 years and it is difficult to find a job in a clinic, they are very hard to come by. I am quite tall and have to do a lot of bending down whilst doing medications or patients dressings, maybe it is just a problem of being tall and I can only think that this pain will get worse, I feel my GP is worried of the addictive problems increasing my analgesia, but at present I could not be able to live a day without the co-codamol, so I am probably addicted to them already. I have found this website because I do not know where else to turn.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Analgesia is not a solution
And you have had no stuctural assessment, manual medicine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had no structural assessment or manual medicine.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
This needs to be your next step.
You have no diagnosis.
YOu can't know the correct treatment.
Wear and tear is not a diagnosis.
Osteoarthritis is, and physical therapy is the most important treatment.
I would use ibuprofen at a higher dose if possible, and see a non-invasive orthopedist.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I thought 400mg ibuprofen TDS was the maximum dose per day?, but I will visit my GP and ask him if I could be referred to an orthopedist. Thank you.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No, prescription can go higher.
good
you are welcome.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
thanks

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.