Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a friend who suffers with Aspergers Syndrome. He is

I have a friend who suffers with Aspergers Syndrome. He is aged 45 and married with three children. His two sons (age 19 & 9) also have Aspergers. He, his wife and the elder son are visibly depressed. The fathers job is not very good whereas the son has a good job. the have become obsessed with their own problems and become very introverted. I am worried about the depression they talk of and we are taking them soon to a private medical specialist. In the meantime could they take some form of Homeopathy to try and alleviate the problem. I think it is just a combination of things that have 'got them down', caused tensions in father/son relationships etc.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
I notice that no other expert has responded to your question.

It is not easy to discuss homeopathic remedies without performing an assessment of the patient.

However, there are some nutritional and herbal supplements that could be tried without seeking an assessment. It may help to take SAM-e or 5-HTP, both of which are precursors to brain chemicals that may be involved in depression. There also is some evidence that supplementation with vitamin B6, vitamin B12, or folic acid may help depression. An herb, St. John's wort, also may help depression.

It is important to note that none of these interventions have been shown to be as effective as the prescription antidepressants, so if there are significant symptoms, it would be appropriate to see a physician for consideration of prescription of antidepressants.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.