Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My son is 14 and keeps fainting without any warning. He goes

My son is 14 and keeps fainting without any warning. He goes completely pale, lips turn blue and his eyes role. Yesterday he was talking and then 10 secs later he just fell without any warning. When he comes round he can't remember anything and I normally give him something with sugar to get him with it again. Please advise. Been to the doctors and they say he is just susceptible to blood sugar but I am worried - if he did this on his own or in a dangerous place like on the stairs
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about all this. Does he feel like spinning sensation or feel that the floor is moving up and down? Any ear ringing, decreased hearing, chest pain etc? Which tests have been done so far and which specialists he has seen for this problem? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jamie is not aware of what is happening until he wakes up. He just goes completely limp and then seems to faint.

Doctors do not believe it is diabetes from a visit last year

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Tina, i also think so that diabetes is less likely but have they done any test like MRI brain, ECG or any other test? Have you checked his sugar at the time of fall? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He had an MRI scan 2 years ago when this first started along with a lumber puncture. Not sure how I would check sugars? Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Tina thanks a lot for your input. The fainting spells in his case can be from brain lesion, ear related disorders (as ears are organ of balance) or it can be related to heart. Yes it can be from sugar going too low suddenly. A clear MRI is reassuring that brain lesion is not likely but still I would advise you to get a repeat MRI. Moreover you should get him seen by an ENT specialist when possible to get his ears checked and get an ECG for checking his heart status. You can ask your GP to refer him to an ENT (if he agree) and you can ask him to get an ECG for him. As far as blood sugar is concerned, it is very easy to determine that he is falling because of low sugar or not. Get a home monitor for blood sugar. It is available in pharmacy without any problem and you can operate it easily. Whenever he falls, before giving him sugar, check his levels. If they are low then yes you can say that it is due to low blood sugar but if they are fine then you can rule out his diabetes to cause his symptoms. I hope I have clarified my point of view. I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards