DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Would a neuroligist be the best person to see for generalised

Would a neuroligist be the best person to see for chronic generalised hyperhydrosis. The condition is body wide including face/scalp but absent in hands and feet. Treatment by dermatology specialust of Botox and probanthine were not effective. Would there be a system wide malfunction where the body/brain is constantly on "fight/flight mode Thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I would start with an internal medicine doctor.
You need a lot of systems looked at first.
A neurologist, an endocrionologist, a dermatologist, etc....all could be a feasible next consult depending on exam and lab testing findings.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by an internal medicine doctor?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Exactly that.
Board certified in internal medicine.
They are trained in ALL of the sub specialties. WE have to test in all of them.
We are specialist in adult medical systems.
That is the type of doctor you should see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hiw do I find such an expert? Are they called by another name in the uk? I can find nothing on internet searches
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Your GP should be able to refer you.
In fact your GP might be trained in internal medicine, you simply have to ask.
Your GP if he will do the work up, can also refer you to a specialist.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
In the UK, after the GP finishes the foundation program, and then is certified as a general practitioner, he/she should be able to help acertain which system your sweating is going from.
Endocrine
Infectious
Tumor
Autoimmune disease
etc.
You should see this doctor first
Have the following labs
CBC
comprehensive metabolic panel
sed rate and ANA panel
Thyroid studies
AM cortisol
urinalysis
serum metanephrines
AS indicated by exam.