Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hello, I experienced the long of diarrhea after my cesarean

Hello, I experienced the long period of diarrhea after my cesarean section. Started after c-section with softer than usual stools but not so often, but after 4 weeks I had some food poisoning and after than got out of control - smelly gas frequent visits to toilet 10 times or more with very little watery or very soft diarrhea. Started eating probiotic yogurts so little better with some harder stools but still was having explosive with urgent need to go to toilet small amounts of diarrhea. Went to doctor after about 4 weeks of having this and had prescribed medication called metronidazole I took them 3 times a day after 4 days most of my symptoms went away only 1 time in 9 hours was having any bowel movement, stopped taking it after 5 and half days thinking it's ok now, but after 3 days slowly watery stools were starting to come back so I finished the course got better again. It was only 7 days treatment so no more frequent visits to toilet, than had something bad for supper again maybe the food wasn't as fresh and it was coming back again. I started taking probiotic in capsules with billions of good bacteria, it helped no more diarrhea at last and regular stools nearly the same time every day but my question is that it left me with occasional gas with watery discharge brownie colour or very light orange. What that could mean do I need antibiotic for that? I had normal stool samples back and never had this before. Thank you please for help
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. When exactly your stool samples were checked and were they checked for parasites? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, thank you for my answer hope that I can solve this mystery, yes my stool sample was checked for infection such as salmonella E. coli etc and also for CD infection for toxins but not sure if for parasites I think not.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. What you are having is infection. Now this can be bacterial and this can be parasitic. The solution of this mystery lies in further stool tests. You need three types of stool tests.
1. Stool for ova, cysts and parasites
2. Stool R/E
3. Stool culture
Although you have already got stool cultures already but considering your response to antibiotics, you should get stool culture done again. This is mandatory. Now suppose these tests come out to be negative for anything, then your next step should be to visit a gastroenterologist and you should get your colonoscopy done to look for any inflammatory pathology inside your rectum. If nothing shows there too then this can be labelled as irritable bowel syndrome. In my opinion your stool tests will show up the cause and after treatment with antibiotics or anti parasitic drugs, you will be perfectly fine but I have mentioned the whole situation to you so that you know that how you should proceed further. I reassure you that nothing is serious because in case of anything serious, you shouldn't have gotten better in between. Till you visit your doctor, try over the counter available tab pepto bismol twice daily, eat BRAT diet (banana, rice, apple sauce and toast) and drink plenty of water daily. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for the answer , but just need to know one more thing, should I do test samples without taking medicines and probiotics, and should I go private to see the gastrologist so I can have those tests done quicker.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome. Yes you should be off from any antibiotics and probiotics for at least 3 days.So yes stop taking any medicine and after 3 days you can have these tests done. You can go to your GP and get stool tests done. According to your results you can see gastroenterologist later on. I don't see any urgency to see gastroenterologist privately. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Hasan, you put my mind in peace as this was so worrying as something serious has happened. I will do my tests and hopefully it will resolve with antibiotic. Yes I had those tests done 2 weeks ago (for toxins)while I Was taking metronidazole or after I got better so that',s why they didn't show anything. Thank you and I will submit the answer
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome. While taking antibiotics the culture tests are never reliable so get them repeated and hopefully everything will be clear. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery