Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Eight months ago I felt a tiny white bump on the mouth roof,

Customer Question

Hello. Eight months ago I felt a tiny white bump on the mouth roof, about 1mm in diameter. It is small and painless and the doctor said that it was probably nothing. It might have grown a bit but I can't tell. Today I found another one in the back of my mouth. Again it is tiny--smaller than the one on the palate. I have been having random but frequent inflammations in the mouth for the past a few month, but it comes and goes. Can this be a sign of oral cancer or salivary gland cancer? Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
May I know your age?
Do you have pain in swallowing or drinking?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr. Robert, I am a 42-year old female of Chinese origin. I don't have pain in swallowing or drinking. I am generally healthy. Non-smoker. No medication. I have been sick often ever since last winter I got scarlett fever from my girls.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.
It sounds to be Mucocele.
Such small mucoceles do not cause any harm in the mouth. These are usually soft and range from 2 to 10 millimeters in diameter.
It can be caused by blocked salivary glands of the oral cavity.
The tissue heals over with time.
As such, there is no reason to take stress for serious issue like oral cancer or salivary gland cancer. Please stop worrying.
It is a benign condition, and usually would get disappear by its own.
Usually no treatment is necessary.
Please stop taking stress for serious issue like cancer.
For peace of mind, you can get it clinically evaluated from ENT doctor.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much. I am a bit confused however, because I thought that mucocele is pearly, soft and resolves on its own, whereas my bumps are hard and persistent.

Dear Customer,
Thanks for asking follow up question. I am happy to answer you further.
Sometimes such soft mucocele bumps can develop into cyst called as retention cyst. It can appear as hard and persistent.
I am sure, this is not a cancer and is of benign nature.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again Dr. Robert. Just one last question: I do admit that I am unreasonably stressed by the possibility of oral or salivary gland cancer, but it is because of the frequent inflammation in random parts of the oral cavity, which makes me associating symptoms. Do you think that the bumps and the inflammations are separate issues? Thank you for your reassurance and I will see an ENT soon.

Dear Customer,
Well, some of the common symptoms with Salivary Gland Cancer are-
-A lump in ear, cheek, jaw, lip, or inside the mouth,
-Fluid draining from the ear,
-Trouble swallowing or opening the mouth widely,
-Numbness or weakness in the face,
-Pain in the face that does not go away.
Inflammation in part of oral cavity, have to be evaluated by doctor.
This can occur with blockage of salivary gland.
Please get it clinically evaluated from ENT doctor.
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Robert! Have a wonderful day!

Dear,
Most Welcome.
God Bless You and Take care.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert