DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My calcium level is raised what does that mean, what causes

My calcium level is raised what does that mean, what causes it, what harm can it do and how do you sort it out?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

I really need to know the exact value.

A common reason for high calcium is hyperparthyrodism, the secretion of too much parathyroid hormone. This means you need to have a blood test for parathormone, the hormone that can raise calcium.

Other causes can be supplements [you might get a very mild elevation with vitamin D therapy], bone cancer, and other more rare causes.

Some autoimmune diseases, such as sarcoidosis, can cause an elevated calcium.

Your doctor needs to do further testing to see exactly what your levels mean.

If the calcium is too high, you need to worry about heart rhythm problems.

OK, so that is an initial answer…. Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.