DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Please let me know if there is a better category that I could

Please let me know if there is a better category that I could have posted this question in.
I become sexually aroused by things that do not appear to be typical triggers of arousal, and also do not appear on any lists of paraphilias that I have found. The things that arouse me are not connected to sex at all, can occur in every day situations, and I could probably act them out without other people realising that there is a sexual motive, although I would most likely appear odd. Usually they are connected in some way to what I perceive to be an unpleasant sensory experience or a fearful situation. They always fall into the category of being an action done by a person.
Also, when other people do these things, I become overwhelmed with a feeling that what they are doing is extremely immoral and must be stopped (especially if I find the person sexually attractive), and I develop feelings of intense anger towards that person, and have to do something that I find arousing myself before I can calm down and begin to cope again. No other area of my life causes me to experience feelings of anger as intense as this.
Is the fact that I can't find my triggers of arousal on any sex related discussion or paraphilia list an indication that my sexual experiences are abnormal (and would they count as being paraphilias, based on the description that I have given?) Is it normal for a person to have a desperate need to act out things that they find arousing? Is it unusual and concerning for sexual arousal triggers to cause extreme anger and distress? Do you have any idea why I may be having these experiences? Thank you for your help.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
This sounds like more than a paraphilia.
More like a varient of OCD. Obsessive compulsive disorder.
There can be other diagnoses as well.
Have you seen a PhD clinical psychologist, or psyciatrist?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not seen anyone regarding this problem yet no.

I have seen a therapist regarding problems with anxiety once before, but it was unrelated to this.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
You have not really given a clear example of the type of things that arouse you, but in any case there is more than a fetish, or a paraphilia but in fact this can be a paraphilia, since situations per se can be the object of a paraphilia.
While it is not necessarily abnormal to have atypical sexual interests to have to act them out, or to become emotionally active in an inappropriate way...anger...is not really normal.
Also keep in mind that there are usually several diagnoses in any psychiatric situation.
I suggest testing and evaluation by a PhD clinical psychologist.
It sounds to me like in addition to obsession, there might be a mood disorder as well. Often therapy can clear these up. Sometimes medications are indicated.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. If you would like a specific example of an arousal, one would be whistling with fingers. Would that type of thing fall into an abnormal or paraphilia category?

Also, I have previously received a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome. Is it possible for this to be a relevant factor?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
By definition, it can be a paraphilia.
I would guess asberger's is relevant in terms of the obsessive focus.
I still believe therapy would help.
Same assessment, same practitioner.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A little follow up question:

Could the therapy and medication help to remove the paraphilias or would it just be able to work on my problem with anger?

Also, would a sex therapist be the most appropriate type of therapist to see?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I think therapy would help with both.

PhD clinical psychologist.