Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My mother 90 has just come out of hospital having broken her

Customer Question

My mother 90 has just come out of hospital having broken her ribs.she has recovered well.However last night both she and my partner became ill with bloated stomachs, extreme diahorrea, and aching bodies. The most significant symptom is extreme tiredness, neither can keep awake. They are drinking a lot and taking paracetomol. I have tried to find out which viruses and infections are currently spreading in east yorkshire. But cannot find a website with this information. Do you have any suggestions? I am execting to catch it myself.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
This type of information is usually not kept on a web site and readily available.
It is usually easier to obtain such information from local doctors or public health authorities.
Have you tried to contact any local doctors or public health authorities?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

There are a couple of options to consider in this situation. As noted above, this level of information is not typically kept on a web site. However, there are a couple of options to try to gain this information. Most local doctors would be aware of any local outbreaks of infectious diseases if there is a sufficient number of patients that each doctor would have seen a cluster of such patients. The local public health authorities also would be aware of local outbreaks, and would be able to collect information from multiple sources, so may detect outbreaks that are of a lesser magnitude. I have done some research while waiting for your reply and have found a phone number for the local public health authority, +44 (0) 191 374 2200.

The other issue to consider is that regardless of the specific germ, the primary mode of limiting the spread of infection is good hygiene, particularly good hand hygiene. You are also correct that the primary interventions for management is to be getting plenty of fluids to assure hydration and ease diarrhoea, getting plenty of rest, and the paracetamol for relief of symptoms.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.