Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

hi,i have got this pain in my left big toe which I have had

hi,i have got this pain in my left big toe which I have had for a week.if I put my foot down so my big toe is on the floor I get a sharp pain which goes a long my toe and I cant stand to put my shoe on as its to painful.can you please tell me what I have done.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--any swelling or redness in the toe?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Patricia. My first thought would be that this is a gout attack, usually from high uric acid levels in the blood. Usually, though, there's swelling and redness of the toe. Another possibility--even if you had no obvious trauma--is a hairline fracture of a toe bone or of the first metatarsal bone. You should see a doctor about this for an x-ray of the foot and blood work. If it is a fracture, that will heal in time with no more treatment than a fracture boot you wear.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how can I have fractured it as I have not banged it.there was swelling and redness at first now there is nothing just the pain.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Actually one can get a stress fracture with no real obvious trauma like banging one's toe. This still could be a lingering gout attack in which the swelling and redness have resolved but not the pain. Gout eventually subsides on its own but there is specific medication for it so I still suggest you see a doctor for both the blood work and an x-ray
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help I will go see my doctor tomorrow.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Patricia but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you