Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hi there. When I was younger I had two ingrown big toenails

Hi there. When I was younger I had two ingrown big toenails and needed sugery. Both of my big toenails are now very slim and don't look normal. Is there any way that the surgery can be reversed so ny nails will grow back to their original shape? They make me so self concious and depressed. I know it sounds silly but I would do anything to have normal looking feet. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer:

Customer:

Are you able to help with my query?

Dr Uzair :

With ingrown toe nails (IGTN) the surgery usually requires the removal of the nail along with its nail bed (growth plate).

Dr Uzair :

So, that is why the nail doesn't grow in that particular area and this avoids the nail from pinching its fold and avoiding infection.

Customer:

Is there no way to reverse this?

Dr Uzair :

Nail beds can not be reconstructed easily. The most effective way is to reconstruct the nail bed by microvascular transfer of another nail bed from a different site.

Dr Uzair :

This is a long and tedious procedure and requires microvascular skills of the highest level.

Dr Uzair :

And the nail bed that is transplanted will have to be taken from another digit leaving that digit devoid of nail as well, that is a significant donor site morbidity and most patients usually do not accept that kind of a morbidity for reconstructing toe nails.

Customer:

Do you know of any cosmetic proceedures?

Dr Uzair :

The other option short of that is to get acrylic nails. These are better in terms of cosmesis and there is no surgery required. And there is no donor site morbidity.

Dr Uzair :

I'm afraid, the only cosmetic procedure available is to get acrylic nails.

Customer:

Is there any side affects to acrylic nails do you know?

Dr Uzair :

No side effects as such, however, sometimes, fungal infections can be a problem if hygiene is not kept.

Customer:

Ok then. Thanks very much for your help.

Dr Uzair :

Another option would be prosthetic nails, they are a bit expensive and have to be replaced every 6 weeks but they feel more real.

Customer:

Do you know where I can get these? I am based in birmingham

Dr Uzair :

Your Podiatrist can help you with that. They are available with almost every podiatrist and they apply it themselves.

Customer:

Thank you very much. I don't have a podiarist can you recommend one in birmingham?

Dr Uzair :

I'm sorry, I am not based in Birmingham so can't help you with that, however, your GP can.

Customer:

Lovely. Thank you very much for everuthing. I really appreciate it.

Dr Uzair :

If you do not have more queries, please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure. :)