Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

How do you calm down an overexcited vagus nerve? I have a 2

How do you calm down an overexcited vagus nerve? I have a 2 year history of pain, which started out as neck pain and was later found to be caused by a stiff thoracic joint (T6/T7). It had been improving to the point that I was only left with mild muscle pain at times.
However, recently, I reaggravated it by lying on a foam roller to stretch out a stiff thoracic back after a muscle strain. After a week of using the foam roller four times a day, I developed symptoms such as frequent belching, tightness across front of neck and around the clavicles when breathing in, as well as increase in anxiety. I have now stopped the aggravating exercise and hoped for the symptoms to calm down quickly, but they are persisting two and a half weeks later. Is there a good way to relieve them?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The symptoms that you describe sound more like irritation of nerves from the spine, rather than the vagus nerve.

There are several interventions that may help. Moist heat may help, and when there is diffuse symptoms, this may be best done by soaking in hot bath water or a hot tub if you have access to it. An anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, also may be helpful. If there are significant tight muscles or muscle spasms, then a muscle relaxer also may help, but none of the muscle relaxers are available over the counter.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. I would like to understand a bit better why this seems to you to be the spine more than the vagus. If it is the spine, what level would that likely be? Presumably somewhere in the cervical spine? Incidentally, a couple of times when getting off the foam roller, I noticed some joint popping in my upper back, probably right near the end of the thoracic area (between T3 and T1) rather than in the cervical spine. I have loose joints in various parts of my body.

Incidentally, over the last couple of days I have indeed noticed my muscle pains subside after increased hydration.

It seems to be the spine because of the exacerbation that occurred by stretching the spine. It is not necessarily a specific level, and could be from muscle tightness of one of the muscles that extends along a length of the spine.

Muscle pains and improvement in muscle pains from hydration are typically not related to vagus nerve problems.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.