Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi have been to a health clinic tested for sti bloods,urine,Swoabs

Hi have been to a sexual health clinic tested for sti bloods,urine,Swoabs taken result were negative . do I need a separate test for cytomegalo viru???? As it's part of herpes family???29th are male
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

No, cytomegalovirus (CMV) is not considered an STI because it is typically not transmitted during sex. CMV can be transmitted sexually, but it is far more often that it is not transmitted sexually.

Yes, it is a virus that is in the herpes class of virus, but there are several common viruses that are in the herpes class of virus that are not sexually transmitted. The virus that causes chickenpox and then shingles later in life is a herpes virus, called herpes zoster or varicella virus. The virus that causes mono, the Epstein-Barr virus (or EBV), is a herpes virus. CMV actually causes an infection similar to mono. The transmission of EBV and CMV are also very similar, with transmission mostly occurring through saliva, but also can be transmitted during sex.

The oral herpes virus (HSV1) also is usually not transmitted sexually from mouth to mouth, but since it can be transmitted sexually and cause a genital infection, it is frequently included in STI testing. Once the HSV1 has caused a genital infection, it is only transmitted sexually, so it is considered appropriate to include in STI testing.

Therefore, STI testing usually does not include CMV ( or EBV) and if there is a clinical situation in which it is necessary to test for CMV (or EBV), it is necessary to perform separate testing for it.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.