Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Hi me partner have a 6th old girl who has mild cerebal palsy

Customer Question

Hi me partner have a 6th old girl who has mild cerebal palsy . born two weeks early an my partner had preeclampsia high blood pressure an protein levels . almost a year prior to conceiving I was with another partner having sex with and without protection and safe as far as I am aware . have been check for sti all clear . is there any link between me an my X partner an cerebal palsy???
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 3 years ago.

Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

Warm welcome to justanswer

Dr.Amita :

It is extremely unlikely that the relationship you had one year earlier would be responsible for the cerebral palsy of the child.Preterm delivery and pre eclampsia are both risk factors for cerebral palsy and in all likelihood these are responsible for the cerebral palsy of the girl.

Dr.Amita :

Please enter chat

Dr.Amita :

Moreover you have been checked for STI and are clear.That means you could not have transferred any STI to your partner which could potentially have caused cerebral palsy.

Dr.Amita :

I am awaiting your response

JACUSTOMER-1xlc78rd- :

Thanks for your response as you can appreciate it's a difficult time . that's reassuring news . do you think it's worth me getting a blood test for cmv dispite showing no symptoms??

Dr.Amita :

I do not think that having a CMV test now is of much use at present.The only advantage you can get is if it turns out to be negative.Than you can firmly say that CMV was not the cause.If it is positive still I cannot say that CMV caused this.Pre eclampsia and pre term delivery are much greater risk factors and I would rather say that these caused the cerebral palsy.