Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

is footdrop a consequence of prolonged squatting?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Kaushik :

Greetings.

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to the site.

Dr. Kaushik :

Please answer a few queries.

Dr. Kaushik :

Since when are you having foot drop ?

Dr. Kaushik :

What is your age?

Dr. Kaushik :

Do you have a spinal injury or compression of cord ?

Dr. Kaushik :

did you have any surgery such as hip or replacement injury ?

Dr. Kaushik :

Do you have diabetes or high blood pressure ?

Dr. Kaushik :

Do you have history of stroke or cardiac problems ?

Customer:

Had foot drop 2 days ago.

Customer:

60

Customer:

Am 60yrs in Oct. No spinal injury/cord compression, surgery to hip or rep inj.

Customer:

no history of diabetes/hd BP

Customer:

No history of stroke or cardiac probs.

Customer:

I hv been gardening. could bending my knees trigger this off?

Customer:

If so, is it temporary n what exercises would help as i worry that there may be loss of muscle tone and will delay return to function. Please advise. Thanks.

Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience: Doctor ( General Medicine)
Well, foot drop can be temporary as well as permanent. It is caused due to weakness or paralysis of the muscles which are involved in lifting the front part of the foot. So since you have been gardening which embroils persistent bending of knees so perhaps due to this bending posture may have caused temporay compression of the nerve ( peroneal nerve) that controls muscles that lift the foot. So, yes in cases of prolonged squatting or kneeling, similar to your case, one can have a temporary foot drop owing to compression of peroneal nerve that runs through the knee and which is the nerve that controls foot lifting muscles.

So, i will suggest that if your foot drop has been more or less the same since past 2 days without any signs of improvement then please do not hesitate to consult your primary physician and get yourself examined and get some important investigations done such as EMG ( i.e Electromyography ) for muscle testing and Nerve conduction studies to know the exact pathology involved. Along with this a Plain Xray or Ultrasonography can be done.

As far as treatment is concerned, until the exact cause gets to be known you may ask your doctor to apply a splint to the foot for walking assistance and try Physiotherapy and Nerve Stimulation simultaneously.

You see the abrupt onset of foot drop with no positive risk factors in the past and a present risk factor of contant bending, all of these factors suggest that this is a temporary phenomenon which is going to get better with time, however for more assurance you may consier getting the above tests done and also start the treatment suggested.

I hope this helps.

Wish you speedy recovery. I shall pray for your healthy recovery and will encourage you to keep a positive mind set since it will certainly help to heal faster.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thankyou. I am now fully recovered from sensible precautions ie. rest and gentle mobilisation.

That is great news. Wish you all the best of health.

Take care.