DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have difficulty defaecating without using laxatives and I

Customer Question

I have difficulty defaecating without using laxatives and I feel full all the time and have put on some weight in the last 6 months. There is no blood in my stools but I feel full & therefore don't eat much. Consequently, I don't have much stamina. I'm 60 years old working as a ship's engineer. I stopped smoking nearly 3 years ago and became asthmatic as a result and I exercise regularly. What can I do/take to reduce my stomach size and feel better?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Have you had a colonoscopy?
When and what findings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I have not had any chance to see a doctor. I am still on my ship where medical skills fall to the Chief Officer and Captain only.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You are 10 years over due for colonoscopy screening.
A problem like this can be from a constriction in the colon, from polyps, diverticulosis or even cancer.
You need to arrange to see a GI doctor for colonoscopy.
Have you discussed any of this at all with the CO?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. Thank you for your advice. I will seek extert advice when I get home in a couple of weeks. Thanks again

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome anytime, any questions
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
thanks

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.