Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, I went for a blood test to check for any STI 3 months ago

Hi, I went for a blood test to check for any STI 3 months ago after coming in contact with some blood whilst having oral sex, all results came back clear, I asked the Dr to check for everything including HIV, the results came back a week later all clear on all accounts! Do I need any follow up tests am still worried about HIV? But I feel fine in myself! If the 1st results are clear will that remain the same? Thanks M.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Just one bit of information I need--how long was it after the encounter before you were tested? And how exactly did you come in contact with the blood?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, it was about 6 days after! And the girl was on a mild period. M.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. First off the chances of getting HIV with oral sex are nearly zero but not absolutely zero. Hepatitis would be more likely to get transmitted with oral sex. Unfortunately you need retesting now because it can take up to three months after the encounter for a patient to seroconvert and for the test to be positive. An early positive test for HIV, for example, is very definitive but a negative on after only a week could well be a false negative result
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would blood contact be enough to catch HIV? Thanks m. Your advice is excellent!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Still very unlikely with oral sex but as I said the chances wouldn't be absolutely zero. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you