DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Can you please give me the most recent directive from WHO as

Can you please give me the most recent directive from WHO as to 'normal' ferritin levels in blood - I have Haemochromatosis and my levels are higher than I am happy with ....I am most concerned as I am at ease with a reading of approx. 30 to 40 ?? and several doctors at my local phlebotomy unit have suggested it should be higher, which leaves me feeling very unwell. Thank you for you time.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience—meaning hands on patient care in all situations. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.
The guideline is that ferritin be below 50.
However, if you are at ease with a level of 30 to 40, and you are not too anemic, there is absolutely no reason to suggest it should be higher.
It is an indication, if below 50, that you do not need additional phlebotomy to bring it down further, in other words, the schedule would not have to be intensified.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for this important information - I suspected as much! However, I live in the Republic of Ireland and our local area hospital has been informed by the Western Health Board (Ireland) that patients will only be checked every 4 months instead of 3, and blood need not be drawn unless the level is 100 or above!! This, to me, is crazy and people will suffer greatly, myself included, if they are unhappy will such a high reading on a 4-monthly basis....When my levels go above 40-ish, I develop severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, nausea, joint pain and chronic fatigue...I also have chronic pancreatitis, type 2 diabetes and other minor ailments. It is a relief to know that my request for a continual low level of ferritin is a 'normal' one. Thank you again and may I have your permission to show your answer to my local clinic? Regards, Michael

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes
In fact every patient is an individual.
A one size fits all approach is not going to work for everyone.