Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi. I would like to know if I was hiv positive would my GP

I would like to know if I was hiv positive would my GP be informed or could I be treated by a HIV doctor?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some clarification.
These possibilities are not mutually exclusive, so it is unclear why you are asking this question.
Could you explain the situation in more detail?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

As I noted above, these two possibilities are not mutually exclusive. It is unclear from your original question how it is determined that you are HIV positive, but if the test that returned positive was done by another physician, then that physician would typically communicate the positive test to your GP. If the test that returned positive was done elsewhere, it may be necessary for you to request that the results be communicated to your GP, but it also would be an option for you to simply ask for a copy of the test result for you to provide to your GP on your next visit.

It also would be possible to be seen by an HIV specialist, and the referral would usually come from your GP.

If there is other information that would be helpful, please let me know.