Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi, Ive had five surgeries on my back the last one 16 months

Customer Question

Hi, I've had five surgeries on my back the last one 16 months ago. I now have repeated kidney infections, barely 2 weeks goes between them. I only have one kidney since birth. I'm on oxycontin, amitrypteline, oramorph and many other drugs to help with pain as the last surgery didn't help as much as I had hoped. I've had all sorts of tests re my repeated kidney infections and I've been using a catheter twice a day for 4 years. They've just change the catheter to one that is supposed to reduce infection. I'm 43, have 4 kids and thankfully can work from home. But the pain relief is not working in that when I take it I just want to go to sleep, but without it I can barely move. My children are the only things keeping me going. I'm scared to death most of the time. Any advice as to what I should do to get this sorted out? I really can't keep going like this, thanks, Bren
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you are having such bad back pain after your failed back surgeries.

Dr. David :

you need to see a pain management doctor

Dr. David :

and see if an implanted spinal stimulator can help with your back pain.

Dr. David :

or a TENs unit for your back could help decrease back pain.

Dr. David :

also you can try lidocaine patches on your back as well to help decrease pain so you rely on narcotics less.

Dr. David :

also you should try acupuncture for your back pain.

Dr. David :

have you had your prostate size measured? do you have enlarged prostate causing problems with urination

Dr. David :

or do you have a neurogenic bladder?

Dr. David :

why are you using a catheter to urinate? is it because your bladder muscles are paralyzed from the spine surgery? or is it because your prostate gland is too large?