Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Do we have statistics to show how many elderly people with

Do we have statistics to show how many elderly people with indwelling catheters get sever infections and what are the comparative risks in the elderly between being constantly padded up because of the indignity of being incontinent and having an indwelling catheter.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
What is the cause of her incontinence?
Does she have a history of recurrent infections of the urine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cause of her incontinence is mixed.She recently fell in the night getting up to make a drink and fractured her femur following a cardiac event she also had pulmonary oedema.However she is tough old bird and is recovering well in a rehabilitation unit.She is constantly wet and has difficulty getting to the toilet without help.She is also a very proud lady and does't like to be wet all the time.She has had two UTI's in the last year one after a catheter was removed after transferring from secondary care. I hope this is helpful

It is difficult to get overall data on risk, since it is difficult to know how many people have long-term indwelling catheters. Most of the data is obtained from studies, and most of these studies are done on specific diagnoses. Since the cause of the incontinence is mixed, it is more difficult to get precise data.

For example, in one study looking at persons with neurogenic bladders, the risk of an infection of the kidneys (called pyelonephritis) and infections of the blood stream that started as a urine infection (called urosepsis) were compared between those people that had an indwelling catheter compared to people that were intermittently catheterized. In persons with indwelling catheters, episodes of pyelonephritis occurred at 5 times the rate that they occurred in people receiving intermittent catheterization. In this study all of the cases of urosepsis occurred in the people with an indwelling catheter.

In other studies, the rate of urosepsis was identified at about 3 times as often when an indwelling catheter was in place.

It is true that certain individuals may have risk associated with not placing a urinary catheter, and her doctor would need to consider these risks when deciding upon whether to use an indwelling catheter. However, the general recommendation is to avoid the use of an indwelling catheter whenever possible, and if a catheter is unavoidable, to try to remove the catheter as soon as possible.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Would it be true to say there is no studies comparing the social problems in the elderly ie indignity of being wet and smelly, safety in getting up to the toilet and falling Pressure on carer and relationships between carer and cared for. Integrity of the skin and pressure areas.Infection arising from being " padded up".and having a indwelling catheter.

I am not aware of such a study, and searching the medical literature with these keywords just now did not return such a study. And since these issues are very subjective, it may be difficult to perform such a study.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.