Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am worried because I have just cut myself on a disposable

Customer Question

I am worried because I have just cut myself on a disposable razor in my sons bedroom I am worried it is one that he bought home from University and students being students may share things, he says it is his but he has Aspergers and can be vague about things, he has been home a few weeks now so would any HIV virus be dead? It is only a small nic on my hand. Please reassure me.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi Unless there were visible blood on the blade you have nothing to worry about here and even if there were unless it was fresh there'd be little change for you to contract either HIV or hepatitis. I see no reason for concern here but you should discuss the matter with your doctor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I saw no visible blood, but can't be sure, my son says its his and he has been home from University a few weeks, so would the virus be dead? My son has had 3 negative HIV tests.

\\\\\\\

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
In that case you have absolutely nothing to worry about here. There could be no live virus on the blade
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't need an HIV test? Does the virus die quickly.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No you don't need a test and the virus--if there were any--would have been long dead when you used the razor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for helping me

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Jane but please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just before you go even if one of his friends at University used the razor, about one to two weeks would the virus be dead? would it die over night? as he meet with his friends over the weekend and may have taken that razor with him.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
It doesn't die overnight, no. But still it would have been dead by the time you used it--and that's still assuming the very unlikely possibility that it was ever used by someone with HIV and they had cut themselves on the razor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been told it dies within two hours, is that not true.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, not true--it takes several days for the virus to die
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It could have been used Saturday or Sunday would it be dead today when I used it?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes it would be dead by then. Seriously Jane you have nothing to worry about here