DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am a 74 year old woman in generally good health. Despite

Customer Question

I am a 74 year old woman in generally good health. Despite trying to control my weight gain, I find that I have put on 2 stones in under 6 months, from 9 stone to 11 stone.
I eat ample fresh veg and fruit and take walks daily.
I am concerned that I may have an under-active thyroid gland. I have heard about
finger prick testing kits. Are these any good and if so where can I get one.
I cannot go to see my doctor for a while as I am going abroad tomorrow for a
prolonged holiday. I am worried and would appreciate your opinion.
Mrs ***** *****-Thomas
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.
Home tests are not reliable.
You need an accurate lab test, to know the exact value of TSH.
The normal range is too wide on all tests, which cay TSH can go up to 4.5.
Not so
Anything over 2.5 can be hypothyroid, particularly if you can not lose weight no matter what.
And treatement requires a prescription.
This is not a self diagnosis or self help situation.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
thanks

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.