Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My sister is in hostpatal a week now and docs still havent

Customer Question

My sister is in hostpatal a week now and docs still haven't come up with a diagnosis please she can't walk or stand on her own as soon as she try's to Stand with help from others she starts to shake realy bad in her legs and the shakes lasts until she's aether sut or layed bk down so worried wot could this be or has this been seen in any case please help many thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Do you know what tests have been done to evaluate this problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Had a scan ov the back and the head still no answer
There are several possible causes of these symptoms.

The shaking is a non-specific symptoms related to partial weakness of the muscles in the legs. When there is complete weakness, or paralysis, of the muscles of the legs then the patient cannot even move the legs to stand up. But when there is partial weakness, the patient can move the legs and work towards a standing position, but as they try to maintain the standing position, there can be shaking before the muscle ultimately collapse.

The scans of the brain and the spinal cord are appropriate, as this would help to identify anatomic and vascular problems, but there are several other conditions that should be considered, if not already done. This could be due to an acute inflammatory process, such as Guillain-Barre syndrome. Imaging studies are usually normal with Guillain-Barre syndrome, but tests of peripheral nerve function, such as nerve conduction studies or electromyography (EMG), may be helpful. These same studies can also identify other problems of the peripheral nerves and the neuromuscular junction. It also may help to perform a lumbar puncture (also called a spinal tap), which may provide evidence indicating an inflammatory or infectious condition causing the weakness. It also could be due to a primary muscle condition, such as myositis, and blood tests of muscle enzymes would help to identify such problems.

Although the evaluation would also be guided by the findings on physical examination, the next studies that would be reasonable would be the test of nerve function. And then further tests can be done based on these results.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.