Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

About two months ago, a neurologist at the local hospital to

Customer Question

About two months ago, a neurologist at the local hospital to us ( Romford ) diagnosed my wife as having early stages of the Parkinson's disease.
My wife was prescribed Rasagiline tablets one a day.
Is there anything else available to slow down the disease?
What can she do to help herself in this situation?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

Yes nowadays there are some good medications to slow down Parkinson's disease.

Dr Basu :

Rasagiline is a good medication for early stage disease.

Dr Basu :

Rasagiline is a MAO B inhibitor which acts by preventing the destruction of dopamine in the brain.

Dr Basu :

Parkinson's is caused by the degeneration in dopmaine producing neurons in the brain.

Dr Basu :

We also suggest considering a Dopamine agonist to enhance the dopamine action in the brain.

Dr Basu :

The examples of such are Rotigotine or Ropinirole.

Dr Basu :

Either of these medications may be considered as they also have protective effect on the brain and prvents the progression of the disease.

Dr Basu :

A supplement called Coenzyme Q10 can be used in high dosage like 800 mg daily which may have some neuroprotective effect.

Dr Basu :

Regular exercise promotes a feeling of physical and mental well-being.

Dr Basu :

Hence, we recommend exercise therapy for every one to improve the muscle and joint functioning.

Dr Basu :

Treadmill training, Balance training, Music therapy are all good.

Dr Basu :

Diet plays a vital role.

Dr Basu :

Your wife should follow a high fiber diet with low saturated fat content.

Dr Basu :

Best wishes,

Dr Basu :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Neurological Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu :

Please eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables, especially dark green leafy vegetables and orange, yellow, purple and red colored fruits and vegetables. They have natural antiseptic and anticancer properties. Tomatoes, Beetroots and broccolis are very good for liver and also offer protection against cancer.
Saturated fats like: full-cream dairy products, margarines, processed vegetable oils (hydrogenated fats), deep fried foods should be avoided.
Please consider oat, rice, almond or soy milks.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Dr Basu : Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Dr Basu : Yes nowadays there are some good medications to slow down Parkinson's disease.
Dr Basu : Rasagiline is a good medication for early stage disease.
Dr Basu : Rasagiline is a MAO B inhibitor which acts by preventing the destruction of dopamine in the brain.
Dr Basu : Parkinson's is caused by the degeneration in dopmaine producing neurons in the brain.
Dr Basu : We also suggest considering a Dopamine agonist to enhance the dopamine action in the brain.
Dr Basu : The examples of such are Rotigotine or Ropinirole.
Dr Basu : Either of these medications may be considered as they also have protective effect on the brain and prvents the progression of the disease.
Dr Basu : A supplement called Coenzyme Q10 can be used in high dosage like 800 mg daily which may have some neuroprotective effect.
Dr Basu : Regular exercise promotes a feeling of physical and mental well-being.
Dr Basu : Hence, we recommend exercise therapy for every one to improve the muscle and joint functioning.
Dr Basu : Treadmill training, Balance training, Music therapy are all good.
Dr Basu : Diet plays a vital role.
Dr Basu : Your wife should follow a high fiber diet with low saturated fat content.
Dr Basu : Please eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables, especially dark green leafy vegetables and orange, yellow, purple and red colored fruits and vegetables. They have natural antiseptic and anticancer properties. Tomatoes, Beetroots and broccolis are very good for liver and also offer protection against cancer.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Doctor, Basu,

If my wife took some supplements ( Moringa capsules, vitamins B, tablets containing magnesium, fish oil pearls ) alongside Rasagiline tablets might there be some negative effects on her health if she does that?

Might there be some beneficial effect of including fish in the diet?

Thank you for your help,

Gregory.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Hi Gregory,
These supplements will not interact with rasagiline.
Yes there may be some benefits from fish as well due to its antioxidant effect.

Best wishes,