Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have a 2 year history of pain, which started out as neck

I have a 2 year history of pain, which started out as neck pain and was later found to be caused by a stiff thoracic joint (T6/T7). It had been improving to the point that I was only left with mild muscle pain at times.
However, recently, I reaggravated it by lying on a foam roller to stretch out a stiff thoracic back after a muscle strain. After a week of using the foam roller 2-3 times a day, I developed symptoms of nerve irritation. The acute symptoms (in the neck area) are now improving, but I still have increased muscle spasms and pain around my body.
I am normally quite athletic (4 hours a week of endurance exercise in the gym, and swimming for half an hour twice a week). I have backed off exercise for a the past three weeks, since the problem occurred. Is it ok to carry on as normal now, despite some pain, or will this increase nerve irritation? (Obviously, I already stopped the foam roller and do not intend to use it any time soon.)
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your concerns but later you can ask anything you want. As per symptoms, it is obvious that you have aggravated your neck problem and symptoms are consistent with nerve irritation as well as muscular spasm. You are getting better but you can expedite the recovery by taking few steps. It is better to avoid the exercise as a wrong movement can irritate the nerves again. It's better to avoid exercise till you get absolutely fine again. Moreover use of over the counter tab aleve twice daily for 7 days can help you a lot. Apply heating pad to the area thrice daily for 2 weeks and massage the area gently with over the counter available Bengay gel twice daily. Don't get stressed, you will be fine soon. My best wishes and prayers are for you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards