DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

For some weeks, Ive been aware of a vague sensation of mild

For some weeks, I've been aware of a vague sensation of mild discomfort/tenderness on the left side of my back at something like waist level. This has gradually become more pronounced. When I tried a new piece of equipment at the gym a couple of weeks ago, that involved pushing hard and upwards with my back, I was alarmed to note a marked soreness at the effected spot. I have recently noted a diffuse ache over a far larger area.
Other symptoms of very recent onset (probably the last week) which may or may not be associated include small lymph node swellings in left groin and under right arm, strange sensation (mild and very transient pain) in what I assume to be my diaphragm and also oesophagus, and a numbness in my right hand which is accompanied by a weird sensation in my head. The last two have been occurring daily since Monday, varying considerably in duration and intensity.
When I visited a doctor yesterday, he was very dismissive of my condition, but did suggest I make an appointment for a blood test, which he assured me would detect anything serious. I neglected to mention that my mother had suffered from renal cancer.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay.
The post was blocked for a while.
your doctor is correct that a blood test might show gross renal dysfunction.
They would not show a kidney stone.
They would not show a disc problem in the back, which in my view is the most likely problem here.
I would have a doctor seriously examine you, this is not normal, and consider an MRI of the mid to lower spine.
X ray is pretty much useless.
They can get a quick look of the kidneys at the same time.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
just use reply to expert for further questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm greatly reassured by your confirmation of the usefulness of a blood test and your suggestions regarding a full medical examination and an MRI.

Bearing in mind the highly-localised soreness to the left of the spinal area, and given the familial history of renal cancer, I would be interested to know why you consider a disc problem to be the most likely explanation.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Because renal cancer would not usually cause pain.
Simply because it does not act like this.
And you would be far sicker if any tumor ever got large enough to cause pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But my mother experienced a great deal of back-pain when she was suffering from renal cancer for some months before visiting her doctor (believing she had simply damaged her back); as far as I know, she experienced no other symptoms.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Very possbily the tumor had become very large, or had gone into the bone.
This is not the usual presentation.
And as I said, they can get a look with the MRI.