Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have been diagnosed with BPD and more recently cyclothymia

I have been diagnosed with BPD and more recently cyclothymia but I generally feel that both of them don't fit me. I've been trying to seek a second opinion but I feel like I'm not being listened to and taken seriously. There are a lot of BPD traits that I don't feel I can relate too especially fear of abandonment and repetitive self-harming behaviour as the onlytime I did that was in the past when I was feeling really down it lasted for 2-3 years and yes I did abuse alcohol, took a lot of herbal supplements and otc drugs but it was to self-medicate, I wanted the pain to go away and nothing else worked as I was literally dying inside, every day was the same, I struggled to get out of bed, I felt so incredibly tired yet couldn't get off to sleep, or kept waking up, sometimes I'd comfort eat or didn't feel like eating at all so lost weight, I had no motivation to do things and nothing made me feel happy not even the things I enjoyed and even with that I struggled to remember what they were. Everything felt slow, my body was aching and my limbs felt heavy and it was hard to go out and those times that I did go out I'd find myself stopping in the middle of the street or supermarket just staring into space like as if I'd gone off into my own little world or something. Eventually all this culminated in me feeling so hopeless that I became preoccupied with death, even looking at rail cam in its extreme, I started planning my suicide, writing a note and attempted to hang myself but couldn't go through with it, I didn't know what to do anymore so I seeked help and was told by the mental health professional that I didn't have biological depression so she didn't feel medication would be beneficial so recommended counselling which I tried but didn't work and so I steadily got worse and was literally dealing with it by myself for 2-3 years just doing the ssame thing on a daily bases. Over time I started to get better though but it was painfully slow, I think I had a sort of normal period of mood but when I started college my mood switched to a more what I'd call elevated or happy mood, during this time I had a lot of energy, I'd suddenly have the motivation to clean but the ideas kept popping up in my mind, write a book, write a poem, sign up to dating sites, join a club, go on a holiday, buy clothes, do this do that! And I'd lose my concentration so that any projects started would be quickly forgotton about and unfinished because I'd be on to the next one in mind. My sex drive went through the wall I'd have this urge to join dating sites, agencys and I'd go out to the pub drink and I'd either chat with men I'd met and/or go back to there apartment and (you know) although it only happened a couple of times. I struggled to sleep well or hardly slept all yet I'd still have the energy to bake a cake at 3 in the morning! I'd decide to walk instead of take a bus into town and be oblivious to the fact of my spending on clothes, food, dvds, cds and buying online I just didn't know how to control myself or know when to stop. This period of mood lasted from anywhere to a week to up to a month but it would also be interspersed with me feeling angry and irritable often yelling or snapping for no reason at family members and friends infact for the most part it felt exactly like that irritable happiness I'd call it. Sometimes I felt like I had special powers or psychic powers, could read peoples minds, speak to the dead, talk to angels infact there were times where I actually felt I was a goddess or the chosen one to fight the evil and even mythilogical creatures such as vampires and demons. To this day I still go through ups and downs and recentlY I've been feeling more down and anxious which has been going on for a few months now but do have a period of normal mood. I just wonder if you could tell me what your opinions are? I don't really know what to do and feel like I'm just going round and round in circles as far as things are concerned.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Hi do you still need help on this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I still need help on this.

This sounds like classic bipolar Louise
You clearly had a manic episode and one manic episode automatically makes you bipolar for life
What meds have you tried?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The meds I've been on in the past are Citalopram, flupentixol (can't spell it), Risperidone. Currently I'm on Quetiapine and Mirtazapine. I never really thought my happy mood was that extreme I mean it didn't go so far as to ruin my finances (although I did go overdrawn that once) or rack up huge bills or spend on expensive trips abroad. To this day I still have a problem with overspending.

I think you definitely have bipolar
I agree with that diagnosis
The best medicine I have found for this is lamotrigine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Could you please tell me what the side effects are? And what would be the next step? I've seen various Psychiatrists they seem to want to listen and seem stuck on the BPD diagnoses so get treated like I'm a waste of time I think. My GP wasn't that keen on referring me back to the mental health team, in her opinion she thinks its unlikely they'll take me back.

I think you absolutely need a mental health team
you have hard to treat bipolar
The side effects sometimes are nausea, dizziness, and fatigue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I guess this means I have to go back to my GP or see a different one right? hmmm. When you say hard to treat that makes me scared! What if they don't do anything?

I think you are just going to have to keep searching until you find the right doctor.
One that is willing to give this the time and effort that it needs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I just ask this isn't a formal diagnosis or is it? I'm so glad to finally got an opinion.

No it's not formal
Just my assessment based on your history and years of experience treating these conditions
I am confident in it though
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Well thank you so very much for your time and your opinion, it all seems to make sense now.

you're welcome Louise :)
please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
I appreciate the good rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)