Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My Father has an arachnoid cyst on the brain. He has been told

My Father has an arachnoid cyst on the brain. He has been told he has probably had this from birth but a MRI scan has shown it up. We took him to have this as his memory was not good. It has now been about 5 years since he has had this scan and his memory has deteriorated. I have read that there are several operations to remove the cyst and wondered if this would help with his memory and would any of his memory he has lost come back.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

the arachnoid cyst in the brain has nothing to do with his memory deterioration.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

He could be having Alzheimer's disease or dementia as far as I am concerned.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Even if the cyst is treated his memory will not improve.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The most important part of the brain that deals with the memory is the limbic system of which hippocampus is the most important part.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

These are the parts that are affected in Alzheimers.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

He should have all the reversible causes of low memory ruled out like a thyroid test, test for vitamin B12, etc.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If any reversible cause is found then this can be improved by treating the cause.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Other than that there are medications like memantine which can help improve memory.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please use the reply button and the text box to respond.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below when you are done.

Customer:

Dr. Shahzad MD :

hello

Customer:

Many thanks. I just wondered whether if he had the cyst drained whether his memory would improve. It's very difficult to get my Dad to go to the Doctors as he just doesn't want to know. I do recall he had some blood test at the Doctors before he had the MRI scan to see if he had parkinsons or anything else.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Well, I am very sure that this cyst has been there for decades and has nothing to do with memory.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that other causes should be ruled out if those have not been done like I mentioned above like vitamin B12, thyroid and so forth.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But, in the most likelihood, unfortunately, this memory problem is to remain irreversible.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

That is the unfortunate case in more than 95% of people all over the world of this age who experience memory problems.

Customer:

Ok thanks. I was just reading up online on the cyst and it seemed a lot of others who had the same had a memory problem as well so I thought it was connected. I thought it might press on the brain and cause the memory loss.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So has anyone of those has any of these cysts operated upon?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Or have their memory improved after removal?

Customer:

They did but it was only mentioned that their headaches etc. had improved and did not mention the memory.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

That is my point.

Customer:

My dad has lost a lot of weight over the past 6 years so a thyroid test might be worth doing. I will mention this. Thanks for your help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below.
I hope I provided excellent services.
Goodbye :)