Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had a sleep problem for 6 months following jet lag and

I have had a sleep problem for 6 months following jet lag and took zoplicone . Under the supervision of a Doctor at a private clinic switched to quetiapine lowest dose of 2.5 mg .With these tablets I have slept well and the Doctor has now given me an exit programme of two weeks alternate nights without a tablet. He told me not to worry if it did not go well to begin with, but I find that whatever I do, no caffeine, no alchohol, no eating late, quiet cool room, mental sleep preparation exercises, etc I simply cannot get to sleep and just manage the minimum of 2-3 hours between 4 and 7am after going to bed before midnight.I am not particularly worried about anything to keep me awake I am 83 and realise that my age does not help.After these nights and get up I feel ok but I know that I will need at least another 2- 3 hours sleep.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Have you completed the two weeks of the alternating nights of quetiapine?
Was the next step to stop the drug entirely?
Are you asking whether there is another medicine that can be considered?
Or is there other information that you are seeking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I could not type in my response in the panel I will stop the the quetiapine tablets in 10 daysI am asking for advice on what I could do if the poor nights continue
Have you been tried on any other medicines besides the zoplicone and quetiapine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I could not type in an answer to the doctors questions
I am not sure why the system is not allowing you to enter information.

The first issue would be the implementation of good lifestyle habits that promote good sleep, collectively referred to as good sleep hygiene, and it sounds like you have already implemented these interventions.

If good sleep hygiene is not sufficient, and the individual is continuing to have significant sleep disturbance, then it would be appropriate to consider other medicines. If you have not yet been tried on any medicines beyond the zopiclone and the quetiapine, there are several other medicines that can be considered. A common medicine is used in this situation is low doses of trazodone. The trazodone is an antidepressant, but has been found to help people with sleep disturbance and it is not associated with as many long-term adverse effects as the quetiapine.

I am posting this as an answer, since you cannot respond to requests for information. If you have already been tried on trazodone, then hopefully you can respond to this answer without having to relist the question and we can discuss other options.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
What further information are you seeking?
If you cannot reply directly, then provide the additional information when you relist the question.