Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a young woman working a variety of shift patterns, alternating

I am a young woman working a variety of shift patterns, alternating between night and day and I am finding that I am having trouble sleeping. I can usually function on very little sleep but recently i have noticed that I can't focus and I have become quite clumsy and starting to feel run down (slightly like pre-flu run down) I just don't want to put myself or anyone in danger due to a lack of sleep. I have tried yoga, relaxation techniques, baths, everything that I can think of. I was really just hoping that someone might be able to give me some advice? Many thanks in advance.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Have you tried any over the counter sleep aids?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well I'm actually a student nurse. I have been trying to go for a more natural approach as in the past I have had some unpleasant reactions to a variety of prescription and over the counter medications. To my knowledge I do not have any chronic medical conditions, just some complex gynae issues. Hope that's enough info. And thanks for the help, I feel I would rather not bother my family doctor, at least until I have maybe tried more options.
There actually is a natural supplement that is one of the reasons that I have asked this question There is a supplement called melatonin, which can be purchased as a sole supplement or in combination with other substances in some over the counter sleep aids. Have you tried melatonin?
I have not heard back from the last request for information.

If the melatonin has not yet been tried, it is reasonable to try this dietary supplement. Melatonin is found in humans as well as many other dietary sources. In humans, it appears to be important in the maintenance of the sleep-wake cycle. The use of melatonin as a dietary supplement has been tried for a variety of sleep disturbances, and is particularly helpful in people that have a condition with difficulty in maintaining a normal daily sleep cycle. In your case, where the disruption of the normal cycle is imposed by your shift pattern, the use of melatonin may be effective at helping get more rest when you are allowed to sleep.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.