Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have just received a diagnosis of osteo pyrosis my X-Ray

Customer Question

I have just received a diagnosis of osteo pyrosis my X-Ray States that Alignment is satisfactory although there is an exaggeration of the lumbar lordosis,there is marked anterior wedging of T12 and L1 vertebral bodies and also partial collapse of L2 vertebral body, the appearances are suggestive of osteoporotic collapse.
Please can you help me understand this X-ray and guide me as to treatment ang prognosis
Evelyn berry
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Hello Evelyn
So what you have here is two separate but interconnected problems
1)osteoporosis or thin bones. This is a problem and does need medicine for it. The first line drugs are bisphosphonates like alendronate. You need to be on one of these meds
2)compression fracture. The xray of your spine shows compression fractures. These are basically a structural collapse of the vertebrae in the spine due to osteoporosis
You may or may not need something done for these. They can cause pain and and if you have pain you can have a procedure done called a kyphoplasty where glue is injected into the fracture to stabilize it. If you have no pain then nothing needs to be done immediately.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
II am in severe pain which is much worse at night, so I am very tired during the day, how much activity should I be doing would physiotherapy help
The most activity you should be doing is walking

no bent over lifting at all

And, yes. Physiotherapy would help tremendously

You should be referred for a kyphoplasty as well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Whati is kyphoplasty? In simple language, and note that I am in the uk with long waiting lists
It is basically like glue in the spinal fracture
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
II have had this pain since 6th JUne, The pain is easing during the day but still bad at night

I only got my X-ray results this week could the fractures be healing and it be to late to use the glue
Yes the fractures will heal over time

It might be too late to use the glue depending on how long you have to wait for it in the UK

I would still inquire about it though to your GP

and you absolutely need meds for osteoporosis
I appreciate the ok rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)