DrOAB
DrOAB, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  In practice since 2000.
12594838

Would a doctor prescribe piriton tablets to a 7 year old?

Customer Question

Would a doctor prescribe piriton tablets to a 7 year old? Also would a parent be asked to break them up? A concerned foster parent.
Expert:  DrOAB replied 2 years ago.

DrOAB :

Hello. Piriton tablets contain the antihistamine chlorphenamine maleate, which is safe for use at age 6 years and up for histamine-triggered symptoms (e.g., nasal allergies, skin itching). At ages 6-11 years, the dose is usually one-half tablet by mouth every 4-6 hours up to maximum 6 doses in 24 hours. As it may be difficult for a child to swallow the solid half-tablet, a physician may indeed advise the caregiver to crush the dose before administering it.

DrOAB :

If swallowing the half-tablet remains a problem, then the physician may consider the alternative of Piriton syrup. At ages 6-11 years, the syrup dose is 5 milliliters (1 measuring teaspoon).

Expert:  DrOAB replied 2 years ago.
I see that you reviewed my answer, but the question is still "open".

If you still have related questions, feel free to ask.

If I have answered the question to your satisfaction, then please consider clicking "Accept" to give credit for my service.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.