Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

In May 2013. I had a severe pain in the groin/top of leg and

In May 2013. I had a severe pain in the groin/top of leg and when pressed caused pain down the right leg to the foot. I was referred to an Orthopedic Surgeon who arranged an MRI of my right hip. (He believed that the lower leg pain was another issue) The MRI disclosed a small laberal tear.
I was referred to another Orthopedic Surgeon who performed a multiple procedure comprising Arthroscopic femoro-acetabular surgery for hip impingement syndrome. Excision reconstruction of large joint. On coming out of the anesthetic my whole leg was excruciatingly painful and has remained this way with differing levels of severity.
In December I had an MRI on my back which revealed a small prolapsed disc which was sitting on the base nerve. I was referred to the Pain Team who performed a Right L4/5 Foraminal root block. Caudal epidural. This did lessen the lower leg pain but only for a short while.
In February the original Orthopedic Surgeon performed a Right hip Arthrogram and injection of steroids which did not effective.
I am in severe pain 24/7 down the whole of my leg as when I came round from the original operation. I have a permanent limp and my leg gives way and I have a lot of tumbles. My Orthopedic Specialist has advised m to go back and have another injection in my back but I do not want to have another procedure that already has not helped.
I would appreciate any advice as to where I should seek help from as my life has no quality and I am severely depressed.
Jan Skillett
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
I'm sorry about this Jan
Did you have a repeat MRI of the hip?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No just a repeat of the spine MRI which did not show anything different from the first time.

I believe that the Fermor nerve was been damaged during the operation because the pain is 24/7 and is exactly the same as when I came round from the op. . If I press into the top of my leg/groin, the pain exacerbates and travels down the leg to my foot.

When lying down I cannot raise my right leg at all.

I would get another MRI of the hip
there could be some impingement we are not seeing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Consultant has confirmed that it could not be the hip because he injected anesthetic into the joint and the pain remained. He believes it to be nerve related and suggested going back to the Pain Team who put the injection into my back last year. I do not want to go full circle again as this did not work.

Yes, but there could be impingement outside of the hip
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. It is imperative that I make the correct choice to move forward as my Insurance company will not cover me any more. It has been a year and has cost them £14,000 and me £2,000 in contributions and still there is no definitive answer or resolution. I am not in a position to fund on-going treatment so have to get it right! I hope you understand.

I have no quality of life as I am in constant pain and my leg buckles with no warning and I fall to the ground I currently have six stitches in my hand from the fall last week.... Desperate us putting it mildly!!!

I'm very sorry about this and I hope you get the answers you need
please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I just be sure, do you have any other suggestions?

I think another test that can help is an EMG
this is a nerve study of the legs where they test the electrical function to see what nerves are affected
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK thank you.