Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

crashing headache + atrial fibrillaton do they go together?

Customer Question

crashing headache + atrial fibrillaton do they go together? what is the best NSAID to take?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me more please? How long have you had afib and how is it being treated and please tell me all you can about the headache?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had af strongly for a long time two years ago - had to say resting as a result have found it difficult to get going again, but have just about made it. This bout of af started maybe 2 months ago but it wasn't continuous until 2 weeks ago and was characterised by this monumental headache (see below) and increased difficulty in walking (legs wouldn't move and I shuffled).

the headache is overall but most acute from the nob at the bottom of my neck straight up to level with the tips of ears and then across the top. I am able to read but it is not the usual pleasure

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay Sarah and we can continue after this if you need. Afib can cause headaches if the blood pressure rises but my main concern with the two together is whether there are small clots being thrown to the brain from the heart. That said, you may also be having transient ischemic attacks--threatened strokes. Another possibility is migraines but that's not my first thought. Bottom line here--you need to see your doctor right away for this and you need a echocardiogram and an MRI of your brain to start with